Here are a few shots from my animatic and some notes on my process.
One of my goals for this project is to figure out ways to speed up production. I only have about 9 hours per week to work on it, so I really have to spend my time wisely. So, I’m approaching this animatic a bit differently than a traditional one. I’m not much of a storyboard artist. I can imagine a shot in my head, but translating that to a sketch is very time consuming for me. To make this process quicker, I started with writing out each shot – character actions, lighting, camera position, transitions, etc. Once that was done, I tried to match my shot descriptions by posing my character models in 3D. I also gave them some quick block-in animations. Next I rendered out quick draft images, each frame taking less than a second to render. Finally, I composited the characters in After Effects with some temporary backgrounds, trying to match my shot descriptions.This process seems to be working incredibly well for me. I can make fast edits, changing shots and timing fairly quickly. A cool effect of developing the animatic this way, is that it then basically serves as a block-in for the final animation. I can easily replace the draft images and backgrounds with the final renders.
So far so good!